Octopus Butt

So as promised I present the before and afters!
(look Mike's excited about it too)


Before

Thonet's bentwood chairs are a classic so this had great potential and at four bucks it was a thrift store steal. But ick, chipping, flaking, crusty, yellow, all-around-nasty old finish. It certainly needed a little TLC. (and I was just the girl to give it some!)


After!

The finished piece turned out really well in my opinion. After sanding I hit it with several coats of colored spray paint until it had a good even coverage. Then after peeling back the taped off areas I sprayed it with a several clear coats of varnish to protect it. Make sure you let it dry completely between layers especially if you're going to be turning it over to paint the bottom sides.

Cassie and Mike are babysitting it right now, but someday I'll get it back. It makes me smile whenever I see it though. He's so cute! Part of the reason I picked this design was that the arms of the 'pus seemed to mimic the curving lines of the bentwood. Oh yeah, variety and repetition of shapes--that's four years of design classes for ya.

Well that's it for show and tell today.
Laters!

Comments